Thursday, August 30, 2012

Snack Attack! Avocado and Queso Fresco Toasties

I've been gaining inspiration via the lovely avocado lately. It is quite possibly my favorite vegetable due to it's incredibly fun texture and brilliant coloring. I love to be able to open a fruit and vegetable and just marvel at nature's art. Some good examples of this would be dragonfruit, papaya, peaches, red onion, okra, heirloom tomatoes, the list goes on. Perhaps this is why I have such an affinity for knife-work...I just like to see what rolls out when that first chop is finished.

Today I will bring you a snack that the Handsome Spaniard and I prepared back in Barcelona. I love the picture it took (even with my old camera/camera skills) and I promise you that this snack is the most satisfying nibblie imaginable. Simple as can be, and you can take advantage of those beautiful soft, velvety avocados begging to be eaten! Love it!

The queso fresco that we used came from Granja Armengol in Gràcia, Barcelona--the most majestic dairy store I have ever been to. To be honest, it is the only purely dairy store I have been to, and they have been in operation since 1036--nearly 1,000 years of awesome cheese-making, yoghurt, ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate, honey, jam, and milk-making. Please do this recipe justice by using your favorite queso fresco (ricotta would work too), hearty multi-grain bread or a bread with a quality crust, and a high-quality olive oil that pours with a golden color and has real flavor to it, all that will make the experience even more enjoyable. On to the Snack Attack!

This recipe was originally inspired by an endnote on a Bon Appétit blog (one that I can't find right now).

Avocado and Queso Fresco Toasties
Hearty multi-grain bread 
Avocados
Queso fresco
High-quality olive oil 
Salt
Chili powder (I use Chimayo chili)

Toast the crusty bread in slices as thick as your toaster will allow. Spread avocado over the bread like the beautiful green butter it truly is. Then you slice up the queso fresco and lay them on top of the green, while letting a little bit show through. Finally, you sprinkle with a little bit of salt (the queso fresco has salt in it, so you don't have to overdo it), drizzle liberally with olive oil, and sprinkle with chili powder.


You're good to go! Enjoy your snack attack :)





1 comment:

  1. I got to try it and it was so yummy! ! ! ! ! :) thanks lady gourmet for the invite of this great snack! :)

    ReplyDelete